To Install High-Sync on a Windows PC, select either the 32 bit or 64 bit version of the installer. The 64 bit version should have “64” in the name. If your CPU and version of Windows supports 64 bit, choose that. When the program starts click “Run” to begin the install.
You may be asked to confirm whether to allow the program to run (this is Windows User access Control). Say Yes and the setup Wizard should start.
The default installation location of c:\Program Files\High-Sync will be fine for most users
By default the High-Sync with Scheduler and VSS Helper service are selected. Here’s what each services does
- High-Sync with Scheduler – Main sync program, required to replicate files and schedule profiles to run.
- VSS Helper Service for Locked Files – Recommended to Install. Microsoft’s VSS stands for Volume Snapshot Service, also known as Shadow Copy . It is a technology included in Microsoft Windows that allows taking manual or automatic backup copies or snapshots of computer files or volumes, even when they are in use. In older versions of DOS or Windows, the user would get an error when copying a file that a program or another user had open. VSS works around this problem by taking a snapshot of the directory. A snapshot is a read-only point-in-time copy of the volume. Snapshots allow the creation of consistent backups of a volume, ensuring that the contents do not change during the copy. Note that copying an open file may, in some cases, provide a file that is corrupt to the program that uses it depending on the architecture of the program.
- Remote Service (unpacks ZIP packages, creates checksums). This service doesn’t do anything if you’re uploading to public cloud providers. This optional service is for special features sometimes used for site to site transfers to a second machine(for example the machine receiving uploads). It’s purpose is to speed up “synthetic backups” or when using the “partial file upload” feature. Partial file upload is also known as block level incremental uploads. This service can be used with the SSH/SFTP protocol or disk to disk transfer. If you’re not using partial file upload, you don’t need this service. Also note the service would typically be installed on the secondary (remote) machine in a replication pair.
- Remote Service Control Panel – Used to configure the Remote Service (since you may not have the main High-Sync program loaded on a remote machine.
- Guardian Service (Monitors and restarts the main service). Under normal conditions a service like High-Sync will never crash. However, if it does it means scheduled replications won’t occur. The Guardian service provides extra protection to restart High-Sync should it quit abnormally. Microsoft Windows may have a similar restart option
Choose Start Menu folder where Shortcuts will go
Finalize by choosing to create icons. Then click Install
Note in addition to the installation path, profiles and logs may be stored in C:\ProgramData\High-Sync. Look for High-Sync.ini file